What is a Compartmentation Survey?
The objective of fire compartmentation is to prevent the rapid spread of smoke and fire. By sub-dividing the building we can protect escape routes, high risk or high-value areas and prevent extensive losses.
A suitable and sufficient fire risk assessment will typically involve a review of existing fire compartment measures. However, the scope of a fire risk assessment will not extensively cover every item of fire compartmentation. A more detailed survey may sometimes be recommended. Sampling can indicate the presence of significant issues, such as locating or confirming the presence of fire dampers or establishing if existing measures meet the requirements of current guidance or to meet other specific objectives.
How can the FPA help?
Our experts can conduct comprehensive, non-destructive fire compartmentation surveys and deliver detailed reports on the condition of walls and floors, roof voids, wall voids, risers and shafts, floor voids and basements. The report will outline the existing condition and adequacy of the fire compartmentation measures and where necessary recommend improvements that should be undertaken in order to make your buildings compliant with statutory requirements and best practice guidance or to meet a specific business resilience objective.
What is included?
- an assessment of the compartmentation strategy for the premises
- a comprehensive visual inspection of the existing fire compartmentation provisions; which includes floors, walls, roof voids, basements, floor and ceiling voids, risers and shafts where present
- an assessment of the condition of compartmentation and subsequent defects in accordance with relevant British Standards, Approved Document B of the Building Regulations and any site-specific Fire Strategy information made available
- a detailed review of fire doors on the premises (which can also be undertaken as a separate exercise)
- a clear action plan which outlines locations of defects, photographic evidence and suggested remedial actions to be taken
- marking up of existing floor plans (if made available) to indicate the locations of compartment walls and floors.
To inquire about this service, call us on 01608 812505 or email: email@example.com