Ilkeston Advertiser reported on the prosecution of the company by Erewash Borough Council after its officers identified both fire and fall hazards at the flats on the town’s King Street. Two improvement notices were handed out, with hazards including ‘absence of lighting’ on stairs leading to flats as well as a defective handrail. Fire hazards included ‘absence of hard-wired smoke-detection’ for flats and other areas, and ‘inadequate’ fire protection for the flats’ electrical supply.

In addition to these, damp and mould were found in the living room and bedroom of one occupied flat, due to ‘inadequate’ heating and insulation, while windows had ‘rotting timbers and broken latches’. Despite the improvement notices, the company ‘failed to carry out the improvements required’, so the prosecution was brought and saw the company found guilty at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court of two offences

On behalf of A&S Milward Property Ltd, Stephen Milward pleaded not guilty and told the court that he ‘could not comply with the notices because the electrics had been tampered with’, while he also ‘had no money and was in arrears with this mortgage’. The company was ordered to pay a fine of £1,500 and the council costs of £1,662, with councillor Val Clare stating: ‘We hope this acts as a reminder to landlords that properties need to comply with health and safety standards.’