The FPA would like to wish everyone a very merry Christmas and a prosperous new year! With the safety of you and your premises in mind, we are pleased to provide you with a list of our top tips for fire safety over the Christmas shut-down.
- Ensure that all fire detection and suppression systems are in good working order;
- Effective close down procedures should be implemented to ensure that all heat generating processes have been suitably shut down and made safe;
- make sure all non-essential electronic equipment and other electrical equipment including any additional decorative electrical equipment introduced for the Christmas period have been turned off and isolated;
- All internal doors and windows on all levels to be closed;
- Ensure that all waste has been removed and combustible material stored outdoors minimised and kept well away from building, vehicles and wherever practicable the site boundary. Minimum separation distances of 6m are recommended, but ideally 10m separation should be maintained;
- Your buildings and sites should be suitably secured to prevent unauthorised access including intruder alarms for buildings;
- Ensure that adequate external security lighting is in operation; and
- Check that any Alarm Receiving Centres are made aware of the duration that the premises will be unoccupied and additional provisions implemented regarding the availability of a key holder if necessary.